in
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Saturday, October 14, 2017

ARC Review: Rule by Jay Crownover


I have read books in the Marked Men series by Jay Crownover before, but I will admit that I read them completely out of order. I hadn't started with the first book in the series, so while I knew how things ended up for Rule I was looking forward to actually seeing how he got to where he did. While I did like Rule and Shaw, I will say that there were times in this book that I seriously wanted to shake them both.  

Shaw has loved Rule since she first met him, but everyone seems to know it except Rule himself. While at first they look like complete opposites, Shaw has always seen and loved Rule for exactly who he is. But even if he was the type to commit to one girl, Shaw belonged to his dead twin brother and he refuses to go there. But when a drunken birthday leads to an unforgettable night together, both Rule and Shaw must figure out what it means for each of them and if there is possibly a future together. 

I liked both Rule and Shaw, and I thought that they were good together. These two had a lot more in common than you would first think, and I enjoyed seeing them get to know one another better. There was so much more beneath the surface to each of them, and seeing them explore that was really interesting to me. Shaw was kind and she understood that Rule had issues. For the most part she was patient and seemed to know what he needed. Rule on the other hand struggled to embrace change in his life, even when he wanted it. The back and forth with these two drove me nuts, and I really thought that they just needed to talk to one another a lot of the time. I hated that they would run away from each other when they should have been running towards each other.  

The other thing that bothered me here was the fact that both of them let their parents treat them horribly. Besides avoiding them at times, they really didn't do much about it and that drove me absolutely nuts. These people did and said horrible things, and there really wasn't much resolution until the end and at that point it was a bit too little too late for me. There was also an incident that happened that I wasn't a fan of at all. I felt like it was forgiven a bit too easily and even though it wasn't as bad as it could have been, I was never able to really forget that it had happened even if the characters were able to move beyond it. Overall, this wasn't my favorite of the series though I did enjoy it. I like Rule and Shaw, and I do believe they belong together. I love that Jay Crownover gives us unique and different characters than the norm, and the Marked Men all have such strong personalities. The camaraderie between them keeps the read invested and anxious for more, and I look forward to reading more of this series that I haven't so far. 

**ARC Provided by Publisher**

Purchase: | Amazon | Kindle | B&N | iTunes | 


0 comments :

Post a Comment