in
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Monday, January 30, 2017

Review: Josh & Anna and Gabe & Claire by Eliza Freed


To be completely honest, I probably should have quit reading Eliza Freed's books after I read her Lost Souls series. She absolutely killed me with that series, and I truly thought that I would never read another book from her again. After having gone through yet another books of hers, I can say that this will be my last book from her. She is a beautiful writer don't get me wrong, but her stories leave me wrecked and I honestly think that she does things for shock value. Josh & Anna and Gabe & Claire sucked me in with the blurb, but of course since this is Eliza Freed there is always a catch. I am still trying to process exactly how I feel, but unfortunately this one didn't work for me as I had hoped it would. 

Josh and Anna have been trying to have a baby. While Anna is determined, Josh doesn't seem to be putting forth the same effort as Anna is. Gabe is trying to survive life with his crazy wife Claire. They seem to have passion everywhere but the bedroom, and it is slowly killing him. Josh and Gabe work together and as they got to know one another, the four of them became best friends. But when an accident changes everything and there are only two survivors, secrets are revealed and the truth finally comes to light. 

I have to say that I struggled a lot with the characters here. I know the situation sounds messy and it was. I love angsty books though, and I honestly thought that this one would be a huge hit for me. I thought that the characters that survived were actually really great for each other, and I was rooting for them from the start to be honest. They seemed much better suited and I could tell that they had a strong connection as well as chemistry. But I have to say that I wasn't entirely happy with how things went down, and I was frustrated much of the time here. 

Because of my frustration, I did find myself skimming some of the time, though I was determined to finish this book and see the story through. As I approached the end though, I could tell that I was about to be even more upset. Eliza Freed seems to be incapable of providing a straight forward HEA, which brings me back to the point I made earlier in this review. With the stories I have read from her, things seem to be done for shock value rather than because it is genuine to the story which is where my problems truly lie with her books. If I felt that these books were true to the story and that things happened as they should, even if I wasn't happy with the outcome, I wouldn't have a problem with them even if I didn't like it. But once again, this felt forced and as though things just didn't happen naturally. There were things left vague and I wanted them to have been resolved. While we are left to assume certain things, I prefer to have things revealed in the end. I wanted more and unfortunately we weren't given all the answers. While I think that a lot of people will enjoy this book and others by Eliza Freed, I think that it is time that I stop reading her books. This is probably an it's me personally thing rather than her because she is a talented writer. Unfortunately for me though, her books just don't seem to click with me as I prefer answers given in the end, a genuine story, and HEAs when it comes to romance. I encourage those that are interested in her books though to give them a shot. Just because they don't work for me doesn't mean they won't work for you.

**Review Copy Provided by Xpresso Book Tours**

Purchase: | Amazon | Kindle | B&N | iTunes





0 comments :

Post a Comment