in
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Friday, February 19, 2016

ARC Review: A Friendly Flirtation by Christine Warner


I have to start out with my warning that you are going to be plagued by a sense of deja vu as you are reading this book. If you have ever read a friends-lovers, little sister romance before, this book is going to be very familiar to you. It's not just that, there are also some social themes in this book that are pretty well worn.

Allison is the nerdy girl who aspires to be something more than invisible. Jared is the best friend of Allison's brother who is going to help her be something more than invisible by giving her dating tips (stop me if you've heard this one before). Of course big brother does not care for the budding relationship between Jared and Allison. This is always the part that gets me in these little sister books. The "little sister" is a grown woman and I can never understand why her adult brother would be so involved in her love life or have such a strong objection to her dating. It just seems...weird. Allison's response is what the typical nerdy chick might do, she quits her job (it's a long story but Jared and the brother are business partners and Allison works there too and blah blah blah, drama). Jared quickly discovers his flirtation with Allison was more than that and it's on like donkey kong or whatever.

I really did feel like I had read each aspect of this book several times before. If you read my reviews, you know I don't criticize books just because they remind me of other books and I'm not doing that here. I chose to read this book because I like the little sister, reformed nerdy girl theme. I think this author does a good job with the theme. Allison is a bit timid for my taste but I like Jared and I liked how their relationship developed. Ok, the drama of it all was a bit contrived but it was all in good fun and it made it easy to keep turning the pages of the book. I wish Jared had realized his feelings for Allison sooner but aren't men always the last to know? I'm not going to hold it against him. This book was good fun, fast paced and the characters were sweet. If you are a fan of this sub-genre, I recommend you give this one a try.

**ARC provided by Publisher**

Purchase: | Amazon | B&N | iTunes | Kobo |


0 comments :

Post a Comment