in
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Monday, November 2, 2015

ARC Review: The Weight of Rain by Mariah Dietz


The Weight of Rain is my first book by Mariah Dietz, but it definitely won't be my last. Though I did have a few issues with this book, I found so much to enjoy here as well. I really liked the characters a lot, and I think that a lot of readers will really like them as well. 

Lauren (also known as Lo) is studying art at a college in Oregon, though she is from Montana. One night she goes out with friends and while drunk hooks up with a stranger she meets. Though she can't forget about him and remembers vague things about him, she can't find him or remember his name. Then months later she takes a job working for Kash as a nanny for his daughter. When she finally meets Kash's brother King, she finds herself face to face with the man she can't forget but couldn't remember. But things don't get off to a great start and though there is a connection between them still, Lo finds herself confused on where they go from there. 

While I really liked Lo and the person that she was, I did have a few issues with King. For a good portion of this story I didn't like how he was toward Lo at all. He was rude and would push her away, then flirt with her and be friendly. He was a bit all over the place, and he really didn't turn around into well into the story. So while I did like him, he also really confused and frustrated me. Lo was a great person, and I really liked how sweet she was with Mercedes. She got along well with others and wasn't afraid to stand up for herself and her friends. I thought that Lo and King had great chemistry together, and they did have a great connection. I just wish that things hadn't taken so long to turn around here. 

I also thought that the story itself had a few things that could have been better. There were several times that I felt like the transitions needed work or were basically non-existent. It would just go from one paragraph to the next with no notice that things had moved time or location. Often times a character would seem to come out of nowhere and I was left scrambling to try and figure out what was going on. It was a disorienting and gave the story a disjointed feel. These things could possibly have changed in a final draft as I read an ARC of the story, but I do not know if they were altered any. I will say that I felt like the last third of the book or so that things started to get much better, and I noticed that the flow was a lot better. I wish that the first two thirds had also had been just as good, because I really think that this book could have been great. I will still read more from Mariah Dietz in the future and I think that a lot of readers will definitely enjoy this book. I felt the blurb was a little bit vague and could have given potential readers a bit more as I really didn't have much of an idea of what I was in for before starting. But if this sounds like something you might like, I would absolutely give it a shot.

**ARC Provided by Between the Sheets Promotions**

Purchase: | Amazon | 





0 comments :

Post a Comment