in
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Saturday, October 10, 2015

ARC Review: A Lover's Lament by K.L. Grayson and B.T. Urruela


I am already a huge fan of KL Grayson's, but after reading A Lover's Lament I am also a huge fan of BT Urruela's. The first time I heard about this book, I knew I had to read it. I was immediately drawn not only to the beautiful cover, but also to the fascinating blurb. This story was so good, and I loved all of it. It was beautiful and emotional, and while filled with hope also had it's heartbreaking moments. This was no easy journey, and I will warn readers that if you are sensitive to war or military content I would advise you to proceed with caution. But I absolutely believe that this book is worth the read, and would highly recommend it.

Katie Devora's life changed in an instant with a tragedy she never expected. Now struggling to feel anything, her therapist suggests that she reach out to a soldier through a pen pal program in order to help her begin to heal. So when she found Devin Clay's name on the list of possible pen pals, she was shocked. Katie had loved Devin and planned on spending her life with him, until he left her without a goodbye. Trying to finally find peace and some closure, Katie sends him a letter, never expecting him to actually write back. But what started out as a way to heal quickly turns into a friendship that Katie and Devin both thought was gone forever. But with ten years between them and a ton of pain and grief, can they find their way back to what they once shared? 

I loved both Katie and Devin. I wanted to be so mad at Devin for what he had done to Katie, and yet I really did understand why he made the choices he did. It doesn't excuse everything, and he definitely could have done things differently. But it was clear that he had enough regret and pain on his own for what he had done. The one thing that was clear is that he never stopped loving Katie, just as she had never stopped loving him. Though they had each moved on with their lives, the connection that they shared was so strong that it had never gone away. Katie and Devin were both so strong in some areas, and yet they each had a vulnerability that the other was able to help. I loved seeing how supportive and loving they each were of each other, even with what had happened. The bond they shared was so real and intense, and their chemistry off the charts. These two were soul mates, and it was clear right from the start that they were made for each other.

I will say that there were times that this book was a bit slow, and that is the only reason that this was a four star instead of a five star for me. The descriptions were great, and I really felt as though I was instantly invested and living right through everything with both Katie and Devin. But there were times that I think it went a bit too far, and that unfortunately made me want to start skimming a few times here. I thought that Urruela and Grayson's writing styles meshed extremely well here, and I loved the letters between Katie and Devin. I also really enjoyed the fact that they included a playlist, and I thought that it really added a lot to the story to listen to the music that they had chosen as I read each chapter. This story was beautiful, intense, and deeply emotional. I think that absolutely everyone can find something to relate to here, and I really believe that this is one of those books that will stay with the reader forever. I know that I won't forget Katie and Devin anytime soon, and I already can't wait to go back and read this one again. If you are new to KL Grayson's books, this is a great place to start as this one had everything I have come to know and love from her stories. Her collaborating with BT Urruela here though took this one to a whole other level, and I am honestly excited to see what else he writes in the future. I expected this to be a good book, but he really impressed me with his writing talent and I know that I will be looking forward to his books as well as Grayson's in the future. They make a great team, and here's to hoping that they decide to collaborate again in the future!

**ARC Provided by Inkslinger PR**

Purchase: | Amazon | Kindle | B&N |





0 comments :

Post a Comment