in
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Thursday, October 8, 2015

ARC Review: Claimed by Elle Kennedy


This is my first book by Elle Kennedy and is apparently also the start to her new Outlaws series. By way of background, the book presents a dystopian world in which some major event wiped out most forms of modern life to which we are accustomed. There are essentially two groups of people in the book, the city folks and the outlaws. The people in the city are “protected” but oppressed by the controlling military government which has become increasingly depraved. The people outside of the city, the outlaws, exist by evading the city military known as the enforcers. That is basically their task in life, avoid the enforcers, stay alive. There are no overarching principles to life as an outlaw, you’re just trying to make it tomorrow. As you can imagine, living everyday like it’s your last can lead to some pretty wild ish. That’s the background you need. Don’t be intimidated by the sci-fi themes, the book is not too farfetched and even though this isn’t my usual scene, I had no problem getting into things.

The main characters in this book are Hudson and Connor. Hudson is a refugee from the city. She escaped from the city because even though her brother was a top enforcer and her father was a founder of the city system, the depravity of the enforcers was threatening even her safety. Hudson ventures into the land of the outlaws and runs smack dab into Connor. She basically begs him to take her into his group of outlaws because she knows she can’t survive on her own. In addition to seeking safety, Hudson also wants the freedom that comes with the outlaw life. She has known nothing but the control of the city and she basically wants to get buck wild and naked. I mean, seriously.

Connor is the typical brooding alpha male commander type. He’s smart enough to know that taking on Hudson is probably going to bring trouble for him and his posse of outlaws but she’s hot and he does it anyway. Of course things escalate pretty quickly. Hudson is looking to get loose and Connor and his crew lead an extremely loose lifestyle. It’s only a matter of time before Hudson is observing orgies to participating in threesomes. All along Connor makes it clear that he isn’t looking for or interested in an attachment to Hudson.

I’m all for kink, smut etc. But I struggle with books where the Hero doesn’t mind sharing. I’m just not the right person for threesome books. The focus of this book is not at all on threesomes, it’s more about Hudson’s sexual exploration and Connor’s emotional exploration. But still, I just don’t like the sharing, it’s a turn off for me personally. Also, the sex was more about sex for the sake of sex and not because of any emotional attachment. That definitely serves a purpose but I enjoy romance with my sex and I just didn’t get enough of it for my taste. I’m still giving this book 4 stars because it was so well written, I loved the action and I loved what happened after Hudson’s true identity was revealed. The bottom line is that I was thoroughly entertained by this book and captivated by the story. So even despite my threesome aversion, this book is on my recommended reading list. I’ll probably check out future releases in the series.

**ARC provided by Publisher**

Purchase: | Amazon | Kindle | B&N | iTunes |


0 comments :

Post a Comment