in
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Wednesday, June 10, 2015

ARC Review: Revenge Best Served Hot by Jackie Braun


(Don't worry about this being in a series, it's a standalone and you don't need to read any other books in the series to understand this one).

This was a really easy, quick read. I liked the story. Kate is an executive at her Father's shipping company who is basically ignored and patronized while her Father is at the helm of the company. Brody is a corporate executive who acquires Kate's family business in a hostile takeover. Kate sees the takeover as her opportunity to prove herself as a business woman since her Father is no longer running the show. Brody thinks keeping Kate close is a good idea in case her Father has any plans of reacquiring the business. It turns out there may be some foolishness afoot and Brody and Kate's developing romance gets stuck in the middle.

I really enjoyed Kate's character. She was a strong, no BS woman who believed in hard work despite being born rich. I don't often see female characters with as much career ambition as Kate and it was something I could really relate to. Similarly, I liked Brody as a character. Despite the fact that Brody was motivated by revenge, he's a good business man who made smart decisions.

The relationship between Kate and Brody is developed over a lot of pages. A LOT! There is plenty of conversation and scenes in which the two get to know one another. There is no instalove here folks. The problem is there is also no instasex or even slow sex or much sex at all. Indeed, there is NO sex until like 75% into the book. I don't remember the last time I had to read through that many pages of dating before we got to the nookie. And here's my real issue, once we got there it was MEH to the 10th power. I was like, 'you made me wait a WHOLE novel for THAT'??

The other issue is that the plot develops in the first 20% of the book and from there you can pretty much guess what happens if you have ever read one of these books. Or like been outside the house recently. I don't really mind the predictability because I truly do like this sort of story line. It just would have really really helped my enjoyment levels if the predictability was couched in between some extremely hot sex scenes.

Overall, this was well written, there were good characters and a decent (if not oft repeated) plot. I recommend this book for readers who prefer more story and less sex.

**ARC provided by Publisher**

Purchase: | Amazon | B&N | iTunes | Kobo |



0 comments :

Post a Comment