in
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Friday, June 12, 2015

ARC Review: The Consequence of Revenge by Rachel Van Dyken


I seriously love Rachel Van Dyken. In fact, her Eagle Elite series is one of my all time favorites! That being said, I am having a tough time getting into her Consequence series. With the first book and now The Consequence of Revenge I find myself liking parts of the stories, and yet they are just too much for me. There is too much over the top and I find myself overloading on the wacky. So while I liked this one, I didn't love it. 

Max Emory lost his best friend to another guy, though she never knew how he truly felt about her. Since then, he has been spending his time just floating without any real purpose in life. Looking to get him headed in the right direction, his friends set him up to be the next bachelor on the reality series Love Island. Think Survivor meets The Bachelor. When Max arrives to meet the women of the show, he finds himself face to face with the barista he just unsuccessfully tried to hit on. Becca needs the money for winning the show to pay for school, and Max needs her help to avoid all the crazies. The two decide to team up to make the best of their situation, but the more time they spend together the more they start to like one another. But what happens at the end of the show when the last woman standing must decide between money or Max, and what happens when they leave the island? 

I loved Max in the first book, and that definitely didn't change here. He is super funny, and so easy to like. He is sweet and you just can't help but feel happy reading about him. I thought that Becca was actually a really great match for him, and these two seemed to just fit together once they got to know each other a little. Becca was determined to make her own way for school, and I admired that about her. But she also seemed to be genuine in her feelings for Max. These two were great when they were together, and those parts were by far my favorites of this book. I liked seeing them be goofy together, but also seeing how they were becoming more serious as their feelings strengthened. It was clear from the start that they had chemistry, so I loved seeing that get even stronger with their feelings. 

I will say that the end of this book with the last episode of the reality show ticked me off royally. Besides the over the top and ridiculousness of all the wacky, that really killed this one for me. I can't even begin to go into how much that changed my opinion of this book, and it was really disappointing to see this one go there. I felt like because of that the ending of this story was pretty much ruined for me, and it was hard to get past that when it came to these characters. Though I love Rachel Van Dyken's writing style and a lot of her other books, I think this series just might not be for me. If you are looking for a non-stop book filled with over the top humor and wacky times I would maybe give this one a shot. But if you are looking for any real deep or meaningful stories in this series, this one probably isn't for you.

**ARC Provided by Publisher**

Purchase: | Amazon | Kindle | B&N | Book Depository | iBooks





0 comments :

Post a Comment