in
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Sunday, April 26, 2015

Audiobook Review: Second Grave on the Left by Darynda Jones, Narrated by Lorelei King


I love Charley Davidson! This smart-mouthed, sexy, nosy, pushy, tough multi-tasker is the force of nature that drives the Darynda Jones' Charley Davidson series. Although there are several other wonderful characters, Charley is why I love this series.

I read reviews that wax poetic about sexy Reyes, but hey, without Charley, Reyes would be an ordinary son of Satan. Charley's friend Cookie is a natural as the buddy, Uncle Bob (UB) is the annoying cop looking over her shoulder and Garret Swopes plots with UB to keep an eye on Charley. All are amazing characters, but none of them make me laugh so much as the Grim Reaper Charley Davidson! Charley is the one I am cheering for and Charley is the one I want to follow in the rest of the series. Can I say it again? I love Charley Davidson!

The layout of Second Grave on the Left is similar to First Grave on the Right. There is more than one mystery to be solved. And there are several ghosts that need to cross over. Charley uses traditional and paranormal means to solve her mysteries and to help her ghosts. And there is the ongoing relationship between Charley and Reyes. There are more earth-shattering developments there. We learn more about the paranormal beings that are Reyes and the Grim Reaper. Things get a little intense and you know there is still more to come between them. Much more!

After reading First Grave, I put Second Grave on my TBR list. Then I was given the opportunity to review Second Grave in audiobook. Let me say, Lorelei King's narration is definitely the way to enjoy this book! Ms. King brings Charley's story to life in ways I did not imagine when I read First Grave. Very well read! Very, very well read! The irreverent attitude of the Grim Reaper really comes to life in this narration. And that attitude is pretty much my reason for reading this series. Ms. King distinguishes characters with different voices, Cookie's voice being the one that is exceptionally well done. I'm sure this particular interpretation brought me more laugh-out-load moments than I would have had if I had read with my eyes instead of my ears.

In Second Grave on the Left there is plenty to enjoy, even if you have not read the first book in the series. However, I think you would enjoy it even more if you have read book 1. If you enjoy audiobooks, listening is the way to go with this series as long as Lorelei King is narrating. I am looking forward to listening to more of this series in the future.

Purchase: | Audiobook | Amazon | Kindle | B&N | iTunes |



0 comments :

Post a Comment